18.5.08

Link to the Arts #1- Mark Tucker


As a book reviewing site, we often (sometimes fangirlishly) applaud the various fantastic authors whose books we have the privilege of reading and reviewing. However, there are others that we never really acknowledge. We only mention their work in passing, though it is often their work that distinguishes one book from another on the long shelf of teen literature at the local bookstore. I am speaking of course, of the wonderful artists that create excellent and gorgeous covers for the books we all adore. As of late, I have been pondering this and come to a decision. When I see a particularly jump-out-and-grab-your-eyes-and-don't-let-go-until-the-work-has-been-shown-proper-respect kind of cover of a book that Aella or I review, I shall quest across the vast expanse that is the Internet and hopefully bring back some background and pictures of other works that that artist has brought into existence.

So for the first artist I have chosen Mark Tucker, the photographer for the US covers of Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr.

Unfortunately, I could not get hold of Mr. Tucker to answer my questions (he's probably shooting another fawesome cover or something), but here's a little background info for you (note: The Wikipedia gods have granted me this knowledge)

"Mark Tucker is a commercial photographer based in Nashville, Tennesseewhose work has been featured in Communication Arts, Print, Photo Design, Photo Insider, and PhotoMarket magazines."

*sigh* Apparently he's one of those elusive types. Oh well, I suppose to make up for the lack of information I shall have to supply you with a link to all sorts of wonderful pictures. Mr. Tucker is really very talented and his work merits a look, I assure you.

Well, this was quite enjoyable. I shall to bring you another (hopefully more extensive) post like this as soon as my captors release me *glances shiftily at unfinished art project and half-written English paper*

From the Shadows,

1 comment:

Heather said...

Okay, I'm definitely loving his photography. He's amazing! I love the covers for both of these books (as well as many others) but I've never really thought to research the artist behind it...hmm...interesting idea.